Skip to content
Chesapeake Oyster Stew
Chesapeake Oyster Stew:
- Strain the liquid from 1 1/2 pints freshly opened oysters.
- Melt 5 tablespoons butter in a large skillet or in the top pan of a chafing dish.
- Add the oyster liquid.
- Heat lowly.
- When the liquid begins to bubble, add 1 cup finely chopped onion.
- Add 1 cup finely chopped celery with the leaves.
- Add a small apple, finely chopped.
- Cook slowly and stir constantly until the onion and celery are soft.
- Add 1 cup cream.
- Heat well.
- Add the oysters.
- Continue to cook slowly until the oysters are hot.
- Do not allow the liquid to boil..
- If the stew needs thinning, add 1/2 cup milk.
List of ingredients required:
- 1 1/2 pints fresh oysters.
- 5 tablespoons butter.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion.
- 1 cup finely chopped celery with the leaves.
- Half a small apple, finely chopped.
- ! cup cream.
- 1/2 cup milk.