Skip to content
- 8 to 10 pieces sponge cake, each 5 cm (2 inches) square
- Smooth apricot or raspberry jam
- 125 ml ( ½ cup ) sweet wine
- 2 pieces watermelon preserve
- 30 ml ( 2 tbsp ) chopped walnuts
- 750 ml ( 3 cups ) thin custard
- Red jelly and whipped cream
- Sandwich the sponge cake squares together with a thick layer of jam.
- Arrange the squares in the pudding bowl.
- Pour over the sweet wine, taking care to moisten all the pieces.
- Cut the watermelon preserve into thin strips and sprinkle over and between the cake squares along with 15 ml ( 1 tbsp ) of the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the cold custard over the cake and leave to soak for 1 hour or longer.
- Decorate the dessert with set red jelly and whipped cream and sprinkle with the remaining walnuts.