Spring Compote Recipe:
- Make the sugar syrup in a shallow, wide saucepan.
- Add the ginger and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Add just enough rhubarb to make a single layer.
- Cook gently for 5-6 minutes until just tender, turning the pieces frequently.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Continue until all the rhubarb is cooked.
- Boil the syrup until it’s reduced and slightly thickened, then pour it over the rhubarb.
- Serve the compote hot or cold.
- Basic sugar syrup
- 40 g (1 1/2 oz) fresh ginger. finely shredded.
- 1.4 kg (3 lb) rhubarb, cut into 5 cm (2 inch) pieces