Skip to content
- Scald 1/2 cup each of milk and cream.
- Add 1/2 cup butter.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Dry 1 tablespoon saffron in a slow oven (250ºF) until it is crisp.
- Pound it to a powder in a mortar.
- Add it to the milk.
- Stir in 1 beaten egg, 4 tablespoons sugar and 1 yeast cake or an envelope of dry yeast, softened in 1/4 cup lukewarm water.
- Stir in about 4 cups of flour r enough to make a thin dough.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 cup raisins.
- Continue to stir vigorously until the dough is thick and glossy.
- Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place until double in size.
- Add more flour or enough to make a firm dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board.
- Knead until it does not stick to the board.
- The dough may be shaped into buns, crescents or a Christmas wreath.
- To make the wreath, form the dough into a long roll.
- Form it into a large ring on a oiled baking sheet.
- With scissors, cut the ring almost through at 1/25 inch intervals.
- Turn the slices alternately to the right and then to the left.
- Bush the buns or wreath with lightly beaten egg.
- Sprinkle with sugar and blanched, slivered almonds.
- Let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it’s double in size.
- Bake in a moderate oven (375ºF).
- 20 minutes for buns and 45 minutes for the wreath.
List of ingredients required:
- 1/2 cup milk.
- 1/2 cup cream.
- 1/2 cup butter.
- 1 tablespoon saffron.
- 1 yeast cake or an envelope of dry yeast.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 cup raisins.