Skip to content
Old English Syllabub
Old English Syllabub:
- Put the clove, allspice and cinnamon stick into a small mortar.
- Grid very finely.
- Sift through a fine sieve.
- Put the ground spices, nutmeg, sugar, lemon rind and strained lemon juice into a bowl.
- Add the sherry.
- Stir well until the sugar dissolves.
- Cover and leave to stand for 1 hour.
- Strain the sherry mixture through a fine nylon sieve into a clean bowl.
- Pour in the cream in a steady stream.
- Whisk all the time while pouring.
- Whip the cream until it is just thick enough to hold the trail of a whisk.
- Place four ratafias in each of the four serving glasses.
- Fill each glass with the spicy syllabub.
- Chill for about 1 hour.
- Decorate with the remaining ratafias and a few fresh flower petals.
List of ingredients required:
- 1 clove.
- 1 allspice.
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) piece of cinnamon stick.
- Freshly grated nutmeg, a little.
- 50g (2 oz) caster sugar.
- Finely grated lemon rind.
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- 90 ml (6 tbsp) pale cream sherry.
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) double cream.
- 24 ratafias.