Skip to content
- Wash a small fresh beef tongue that weighs about 4 pounds in warm water.
- Put it in a deep kettle.
- Add 1 onion stuck with 3 cloves, 1 sliced carrot, 1 stalk of celery with the leaves, a small bunch of parsley, 1 bay leaf and 6 peppercorns.
- Cover the tongue with boiling water.
- Bring it slowly back to a boil.
- Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Remove any scum.
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 50 minutes to the pound or until the tongue is tender.
- Cool the tongue in the stock until it can be handled.
- Remove it and skin with a sharp knife.
- Trim the tongue, removing the fat and tough portions near the throat end.
- Slice the tongue thinly against the grain.
- Serve it hot or cold with a piquant sauce.
- Optionally, bake it in a moderate oven (375ºF) for about 25 minutes.
- Basting it frequently with 1 cup tomato or brown sauce.
List of ingredients required.
- 4 pounds fresh beef tongue.
- 1 onion.
- 3 cloves.
- 1 carrot, sliced.
- 1 stalk of celery with the leaves.
- Small bunch of parsley.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 6 peppercorns.
- 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Piquant sauce.
- 1 cup tomato or brown sauce (optional)