Pot-au-Feu (Beef and Vegetable Soup) Recipe:
1. Place 4 pounds rump of beef, 1 veal knuckle and 4 pounds beef boned in a large soup kettle with 4 and a 1/2 quarts water, 2 tablespoons salt and 4 peppercorns.
2. Bring the water to the boil and cook gently for 2 hours, skimming the scum from the surface frequently.
3. Add 3 carrots, 1 large white turnip, 1/4 yellow turnip, 6 small leeks , 2 stalks celery, 1 large onion stuck with 3 whole cloves, 1 small head cabbage, all cleaned and cut into any desired sizes.
4. Also add 1/2 bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon thyme.
5. Let the soup cook for another 1 and a 1/2 hours remove the fat from the surface, correct the seasoning and serve.
6. The meat, vegetables and broth may be all put together into the soup bowl or the soup may be served separately followed with the sliced meat and the vegetables. very thin slices of small crusty rolls are eaten in the soup.
List of ingredients required:
4 Pounds rump of beef
1 Veal knuckle
4 Pounds beef boned
4 and a 1/2 Quarts water
2 Tablespoons salt
1 Large white turnip
1/4 Yellow turnip
6 Small leeks
2 Stalks celery
1 Large onion stuck with 3 whole cloves
1 Small head cabbage
1/2 Bay leaf
1/2 Teaspoon thyme