Skip to content
Mushroom Pie Recipe
Mushroom Pie Recipe:
- Wash, dry and trim the stems of 2 pounds fresh mushrooms.
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle them with salt, pepper and the juice of half a lemon.
- Cover the skillet.
- Cook the mushrooms for 10 minutes.
- Shake the pan frequently.
- Arrange the mushrooms in a buttered quarts baking dish.
- Add 2 more tablespoons butter to the juices in the pan.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons flour.
- Gradually stir in 1 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- Cook, while stirring continuously until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Stir in 1/2 cup Madeira and 1/2 cup hot heavy cream.
- Season the sauce with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the mushrooms.
- Cover with a layer of flaky pie dough.
- Brush the dough with a beaten egg.
- Make a few slits in the top.
- Bake in a hot oven (450ºF) for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
List of ingredients required:
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms.
- Freshly ground pepper.
- 3 tablespoons flour.
- 1/2 lemon, juiced.
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- 1/2 cup Madeira.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream.
- 1 egg, beaten.
- Flaky pie dough.