Boiled Fowl With Rice Recipe:
- Clean and singe a 4 to 5 pound fowl.
- Truss the wings and legs close to the body.
- Put it in a deep pan and cover it with water.
- Bring water to a boil and skim well.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and 2 onions, one of them studded with a clove.
- Add 2 leeks.
- Make a faggot by tying together 2 stalks of celery, 4 springs of parsley, 1 small bay leaf and a spray of thyme.
- Add the faggot to the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook slowly for 2 hours or until fowl is tender.
Half an hour before the fowl is done, prepare the rice:
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped onion.
- Cook until the onion is soft.
- Add 1 cup rice and shake over the fire until the grains are coated with the butter.
- Add 2 cups boiling chicken broth in which the fowl is cooking.
- Cover closely and cook in a moderate oven (375ºF) or on top of the stove over very low hear for 20 to 25 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Add 1 tablespoon soft butter and toss it through the rice with a fork to avoid mashing the grains.
Prepare the following sauce while the rice is cooking:
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons flour.
- Stir in gradually, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth.
- Cook, stirring constantly until the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Correct the seasoning.
- Add a little nutmeg, cream and a little of the hot sauce and stir into the sauce.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice and cook for 2 or 3 minutes but do not boil.
Put all of it together:
- Make a bed of the rice on a serving platter, carve the fowl and arrange it on the rice.
- Slice the carrots and arrange them around the bird.
- Pour half of the sauce over the fowl and rice.
- Serve the remaining sauce separately.
List of ingredients required:
- 4 to 5 Pound fowl (or chicken).
- 1 Tablespoon salt.
- 2 Onions.
- 1 Clove.
- 2 Leeks.
- 2 Stalks of celery.
- 4 Sprigs of parsley.
- 1 Small bay leaf.
- Spray of thyme.
- 5 Tablespoons butter.
- 1 Cup rice.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons flour.
- Lemon juice.