Steamed Chocolate Soufflé with Chocolate Sauce Recipe:
- Grease a 15 cm (6 inch), 7.5 cm (3 inch) deep dish with butter, then coat evenly with a little caster sugar.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then stir in the flour.
- Gradually stir in the milk, then add the chocolate.
- Heat gently, stirring all the time, until the chocolate melts, then bring to the boil and boil until thickened.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, beat in half the sugar, then the cream and the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, then gradually whisk in the remaining sugar, whisking until shiny.
- Add about one-third of the egg whites to the chocolate mixture and fold in carefully to loosen the mixture, then very gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the soufflé mixture into the prepared dish.
- Place a trivet in a heavy-based saucepan, stand the soufflé dish on the trivet, then add enough boiling water to come one-third of the way up the lid, then steam the soufflé gently for 45 minutes, until it is well risen and set.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate sauce, put the chocolate, brandy, milk and cream into a small saucepan.
- Heat gently, stirring until the chocolate melts, then stir in the butter.
- Blend the cornflour with the milk to form a smooth paste, then stir it into the sauce.
- Cook over a moderate heat until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.
- Cover the surface of the sauce with clingfilm to prevent a skin forming.
- When the soufflé is cooked, turn the heat off under the pan and allow the soufflé to set for 5 minutes.
- Turn the soufflé out or a warmed serving dish.
- Sift icing sugar over the top. Serve immediately, with the chocolate sauce poured around it or served separately in a jug.
List of ingredients required:
- 25 g (1 oz( unsalted butter.
- 25 g (1 oz) plain flour.
- 150ml (1/4 pint) milk.
- 75 g (3 oz) p[lain chocolate, chopped finely.
- 25 g (1 oz) caster sugar.
- 75 ml (3 fl oz) double cream.
- 3 egg yolks.
- 4 egg whites.
- icing sugar for sifting.
- 75 g (3 oz) plain chocolate, chopped finely.
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) brandy.
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) milk.
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) double cream.
- 15 g (1/2 oz) unsalted butter.
- 10 ml (2 tbsp) cornflour, plus 15 ml (1 tbsp) milk for mixing