German style frankfurters are one of the best types of sausage you can get. Whether you love European food or wish to try new things, you might enjoy these. All you need is a few German ingredients that you can buy from your local supermarket.
German Style Frankfurters Recipe:
- Cut frankfurters in half.
- Lightly brown in butter.
- Remove the frankfurters.
- Add onion and cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain sauerkraut and add water to the juice to make 3/4 cup liquid.
- Mix together sour cream and flour until blended.
- Gradually add sauerkraut juice and stir in cooked onions and sugar to make sauce.
- Spoon half the sauerkraut into the bottom of a 1 1/2 quarts casserole.
- Layer half the frankfurters over this.
- Pour half the sauce over the top.
- Spoon the remaining sauerkraut and remaining sauce into the casserole to make a second layer.
- Split the remaining frankfurters lengthwise and arrange over the top of the casserole for garnish.
- Cover and bake in a moderate oven, 350°F, for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Uncover for the last 15 minutes of baking time to lightly brown.
- Makes 6 servings.
List of ingredients required:
- 12 skinless frankfurters.
- 2 tablespoons butter.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion.
- 2 cups canned sauerkraut.
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream.
- 3 tablespoons flour.
- 1 tablespoon sugar.