Creamed Spinach Recipe
Creamed Spinach Recipe:
- Clean and cook 3 pounds of spinach.
- Drain, pressing out as much water as possible.
- Chop the spinach very finely.
- Purée it in a blender or force it through a coarse sieve.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan.
- Add 2 teaspoons flour.
- Cook the roux until it begins to turn golden.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Cook until it s quite dry.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add a grating of nutmeg if desired.
- Stir in 1/2 cup rich milk or cream.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook it for a few minutes longer,
- Brown small triangles of bread n butter.
- Garnish the spinach with the browned bread.
- May also garnish with quartered hard cooked egg if desired.
List of ingredients required:
- 3 pounds spinach.
- 2 teaspoons flour.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Grating of nutmeg (optional).
- Hard cooked egg (optional)).