Chicken Kiev Recipe:
1. Cream the butter in a bowl with the lemon rind and parsley
2. Season to taste with the salt, freshly ground pepper and a little lemon juice
3. Shape the butter into a rectangular block
4. Wrap the butter in foil and leave it in the refrigerator until it sets solid.
5. Remove the bones from the breasts and the wings and carefully remove the skin
6. Lay the breast fillets between sheets of greaseproof paper and beat the fillets flat
7. Cut the hard butter into 4 finger size pieces and place one piece in each chicken fillet
8. Fold the edges of the fillet neatly and roll them up tightly.
9. Secure the folds with fine string
10. Beat the egg lightly and brush it over the chicken rolls.
11. Coat the chicken rolls evenly with the breadcrumbs and press them in thoroughly
12. Leave the rolls in the refrigerator for about an hour for the coating to set.
13. Heat the oil in a deep fryer
14. Fry the chicken rolls in two batches for about 6minutes, until they are golden brown (the oil should not be too hot otherwise the chicken will brown before it is cooked).
15. Drain the rolls in absorbent paper
16. Serve the chicken rolls by neatly arranging them on a serving dish
List of ingredients required:
These ingredients allow a serving for 4 people
(only two fillets can be cut from each chicken)
2 roasting chickens (2 and 1/2 to 3 pounds each)
4 oz unsalted butter
Grated rind and juice of a small lemon
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
Salt and black pepper
1 large egg
4 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
Oil for deep frying