Whole wheat bran rolls is a healthy choice instead of your white rolls you buy at your local supermarket or bakery. Instead of purchasing special brown rolls, you can simply bake yours at home.
Preparation time: 20 minutes (plus rising time)
Cooking time: 10 to 20 minutes.
- 1 (10g / 0.35oz) packet dry yeast
- 190g (375m / 1 1/2 cups)l) whole wheat flour
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 65g (2.29oz) margarine
- 60g (65ml / 2.19 fl.oz) sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 1 egg
- 25g (125ml / 1/2 cup) bran
- 180g (375ml flour 1 1/2 cups)), sifted
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast and whole wheat flour.
- Heat the milk, margarine, sugar and salt until warm, stirring occasionally.
- Add to the mixture in the bowl, add the egg.
- Beat at low speed with electric mixer for half a minute, constantly scraping the sides.
- Beat two to three minutes at high speed.
- Stir in the bran by hand with enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Mix well and place in a greased bowl, turning once.
- Cover and let it rise in a warm place until double in size.
- Punch it down and turn out on a floured surface to rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into 24 balls and place in greased muffin tins.
- Let it rise until it is double in size.
- Bake at 200°C (392ºF) for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Yields 24 buns.