Shad Roe en Casserole à la Crème Recipe:
1. Wash 3 shad roes quickly without breaking the delicate covering membrane.
2. Split each roe in two lengthwise and spread the cut sides with anchovey butter.
3. Wrap each in a thin sheet of larding pork rubbed with a mixture of 1 teaspoon each parsley, chervil, shallot and marjoram all finely minced.
4. Secure the wrapping with string, arrange the roes in the bottom of a generously buttered casserole and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
5. Pour in enough light cream barely to cover, add 1 large bay leaf, 2 slices onion and 4 sprigs of parsley and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
6. Cover with a buttered paper and bake the casserole in a moderate oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
7. Remove the buterred paper and cook for 4 minutes longer.
8. Discard the bay leaf, onion and parsley, taste for seasoning and serve in the casserole.
- 3 Shad roes.
- Anchovey butter.
- Larding pork rubbed.
- 1 Teaspoon parsley.
- 1 Teaspoon chervil.
- 1 Teaspoon shallot.
- 1 Teaspoon marjoram.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Light cream.
- 1 Large bay leaf.
- 2 Slices onion.
- 4 Sprigs of parsley.
- 2 Tablespoons butter.