Roast Stuffed Eel Recipe:
1. Skin a large eel weighing 3 to 3 and 1/2 pounds and cut it into 3-inch pieces. Split the pieces lengthwise, without separating them and bone the fish.
2. Rub the inside with lemon juice and spread with a thin layer of stuffing. Tie a strip of bacon securely around the fish pieces and place them in a marinade for 2 hours.
3. Then drain the pieces of eel and put them in a well-buttered baking pan.
4. Add 3 and 1/2 cups strained stewed tomatoes mixed with 1/2 cup sliced raw mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste, a bouquet garni, 1 onion, finely chop, and 1 clove.
5. Bake uncovered in a very hot oven for 15 minutes, basting frequently. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to moderate, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer.
6. Arrange the eel pieces on fresh toast spread with anchovy paste and pour over them the sauce from the baking dish.
List of ingredients required:
- Large eel weighing 3 to 3 and 1/2 pounds.
- Lemon juice.
- 3 and 1/2 Cups strained stewed tomatoes.
- 1/2 Cup sliced raw mushrooms.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- a Bouquet garni.
- 1 Onion finely chop.
- 1 Clove finely chop.