Macaroni and Oysters Casserole Recipes:
1. Cook 1/2 pound macaroni or spaghetti in 3 quarts boiling salted water for 10 minutes and drain well.
2. Drain 2 and a 1/2 dozen oysters reserving their liquor and arrange alternate layers of macaroni and oysters in a generously buttered earthenware casserole, keeping it hot.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the top of a double boiler and stir into it 2 tablespoons flour.
4. When thoroughly blended and bubbling stir in gradually 1/2 cup oyster liquor and 1/2 cup dry white wine.
5. Add bouquet garni and 2 cloves and cook over hot water until it thickens, stirring constantly. Then simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Discard the bouquet garni and strain the sauce through a fine sieve into another saucepan.
7. Add salt, pepper and grating of nutmeg to taste and pour the sauce into the casserole, lifting the macaroni and oysters gently to permit the sauce to penetrate throughout .
8. Top the dish with a scant 1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs and set it in a moderate oven for 20 minutes.
9. While the casserole is baking, shred 1/2 cup blanched almonds and cook on absorbent paper and spricle them with salt, shaking them gently to remove the excess.
10. Scatter them over the brown topping of the casserole.
List of ingredients required:
1/2 Pound macaroni or spaghetti
3 Quarts boiling salted water
2 and a 1/2 Dozen oysters
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 Cup oyster liquor
1/2 Cup dry white wine
Grating of nutmeg
1/2 Cup buttered bread crumbs
1/2 Cup blanched almonds