- Wipe beef, mutton, veal, pigs’ feet, pigs’ ears and pigs’ tails with a damp cloth.
- Place meat in a deep earthenware casserole.
- Cover with cold water and add a bouquet garni.
- Cover the casserole and bring the liquid slowly to a boil.
- Uncover the casserole and begin skimming off the scum that has risen to the surface.
- Continue the skimming and when the scum ceases to rise, add carrots, leeks, turnips, chipolata sausages (or frankfurters), and white onions.
- Cover the casserole and let it simmer, very gently for about 4 hours.
- Place the meats and sausages on a hot platter.
- Remove the vegetables from the broth and arrange them around the meats.
- Pour over a little stock over all of it.
- Strain the remaining broth into a soup tureen.
- Serve meats and soup together.
List of ingredients required:
- 1 1/2 pounds beef.
- 1 1/2 pounds shoulder or breast of mutton.
- 1 pound shoulder of veal.
- 1 pound pigs’ feet.
- 3/4 pound pigs’ ears.
- 1/2 pound pig’s tails.
- bouquet garni:
2 bay leaves.
12 springs of parsley.
2 sprigs of thyme.
1 large stalk of celery.
12 whole peppercorns.
salt to taste.
- 3 carrots, cut in quarters.
- 4 leeks, cut in half.
- 2 small white turnips, peeled and quartered.
- 3 stalks of celery.
- 1 small head of cabbage, washed and quartered.
- 12 small sausages or frankfurters.
- 12 small onions, peeled but left whole.