Baked Codfish New Orleans Recipe:
1. Split open the sides of a 4-pound codfish and rub the inside with lemon juice or vinegar.
2. Prepare a stuffing as follow: Blend together 1 cup dry bread crumbs, 4 tablespoons melted butter or bacon drippings, 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon minced chives, 2 tablespoons grated onion, the juice and the grated rind of 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons finely chopped ham, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, a dash of nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Stuff the cavity of the codfish and sew the opening.
3. Place the fish in a well-buttered baking dish and add 2 cups stewed tomatoes, 1 teaspoon each finely chopped shallot and parsley and 1/2 cup sliced raw mushrooms.
4. Cover the dish and place it in a hot oven for 20 minutes. Stir into the sauce 1/2 tablespoon flour and 1 and 1/2 tablespoon butter, kneaded together.
5. Cover the dish again and bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes longer.
6. Serve hot from the baking dish. Cod may also be stuffed with crab-meat stuffing or with any other suitable mixture.
List of ingredients required:
- 4-Pound codfish.
- Lemon juice or vinegar.
- 1 Cup dry bread crumbs.
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter or bacon drippings.
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped parsley.
- 1 Teaspoon minced chives.
- 2 Tablespoons grated onion.
- The juice and the grated rind of 1 lemon.
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped ham.
- 1/4 Teaspoon thyme.
- A dash of nutmeg.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 Cups stewed tomatoes.
- 1 Teaspoon finely chopped shallot.
- 1 Teaspoon finely chopped parsley.
- 1/2 Cup sliced raw mushrooms.
- 1/2 Tablespoon flour.
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoon butter.